Internet Horology Club 185
Tweezers - stupid question # !

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/33210217

April 21, 2009, 13:48
Terry Pitt
Tweezers - stupid question # !
Being just a beginner I find brass tweezers a much better option than using stainless steel. They do not mark plates etc and from my perspective give a better 'feel' of what is being held/positioned, and have a lower 'ping' coefficient (where these parts go is an inigma Confused)
So why is it that there is an enormous variety of SS tweezers available vs a relatively limited variety of brass.
Brass surely is better, being softer and more easily 'dressed' than SS.

I ask, because all the better manufacturers seem to focus on SS, am I missing something here. Would appreciate the thoughts your thoughts

TJP
April 28, 2009, 22:24
Samie L. Smith
Brass twezzers are good but they do have their problems ,,the biggest being thay are soft and bend easy but as you said they will not mark the plates.. Smile
July 28, 2009, 23:57
Scott Cerullo
Hello Terri,
Brass tweezers are the way to go. No scratches, unless you are really careless. I recently attended an American Watchmakers Institute Continuing Education Course in preperation for my Certification test. Brass tweezers were required. I recall a lot of people complaining about anitmagnetic tweezers being too soft. But, once you are used to brass, you can do everything with them.

Also, no lifting of the bridges with screwdrivers. A clear lucite stick was the only thing that should be used for that purpose.

www.pawatchmaker.com
July 29, 2009, 06:50
Chris Abell
As Samie and Scott say brass tweezers are the best I use mine 95% of the time even on the smallest of movements, steel for hairspring work mainly.
here is a link to sharpening the faces. I added sometime ago.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com