• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tweezers - stupid question # ! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Being just a beginner I find brass tweezers a much better option than using stainless steel. They do not mark plates etc and from my perspective give a better 'feel' of what is being held/positioned, and have a lower 'ping' coefficient (where these parts go is an inigma Confused)
So why is it that there is an enormous variety of SS tweezers available vs a relatively limited variety of brass.
Brass surely is better, being softer and more easily 'dressed' than SS.

I ask, because all the better manufacturers seem to focus on SS, am I missing something here. Would appreciate the thoughts your thoughts

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Brass twezzers are good but they do have their problems ,,the biggest being thay are soft and bend easy but as you said they will not mark the plates.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hello Terri,
Brass tweezers are the way to go. No scratches, unless you are really careless. I recently attended an American Watchmakers Institute Continuing Education Course in preperation for my Certification test. Brass tweezers were required. I recall a lot of people complaining about anitmagnetic tweezers being too soft. But, once you are used to brass, you can do everything with them.

Also, no lifting of the bridges with screwdrivers. A clear lucite stick was the only thing that should be used for that purpose.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
As Samie and Scott say brass tweezers are the best I use mine 95% of the time even on the smallest of movements, steel for hairspring work mainly.
here is a link to sharpening the faces. I added sometime ago.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003