Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hands only move when they want to "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I have an 18 size Hampden, lever set watch that has me puzzled. The hands move only when sporadically.
They are not touching the dial, crystal, or each other. Set easily when the lever is engaged. I have replaced the cannon pinion and the dial washer. Advice please.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Gary,
I am presuming that the watch keeps ticking even though the hands keep stopping. Even though the cannon pinion is replaced, are you sure it is tight enough? It could be that the post on the center wheel is worn and there is not enough friction to spin the cannon pinion. This would also explain why it would set so easily. Use your cannon pinion tightener and put a little dimple in the cannon pinion. This can also be done in the staking set.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Thanks Scott for the advice. I'll give that a try.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Scott, You were right on the money. Thanks again. Gary.