Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us yours & I'll show mine! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I run across quite a few questions in IHC, directed toward "Setting up a shop" What did you use? Where did you get it? How do you make that work? What is it and did you make it? I'm wondering if we each take pictures of our work stations (Pig Pen) in my case, and post them then along with short explanations we can all get ideas from one another. A great many of my items come from the Goodwill, At least 25% were made be me and or purchased. I have two computers one Windows 7 and the other a Windows 8.1 OS with 5 printers on line to make my labels so I know what each part is and for mailing stuff. I also have an heat sealer, a Ace 100 timer, a WW 8mm lathe, a 6" buffer, a Foredom rotary tool and many more parts seen in the pictures.
If you would take a picture of your work area setup and post it we all may learn something from it. I have incorporated a lot , seen in other photos.
Picture 1 is mostly storage, on the right is parts and on the left is movements.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
#2.
Movement storage and lathe table with WW, 8 mm Lathe an 6" buffer on the same movable table.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
#3 The little table is a breakfast in bed table. $3.00 at the Goodwill with a bamboo cutting board on top, Wall mart $8.00 It is grooved all around for catching parts & gives a 10" lift. Ace 100 time machine and a full Marshall staking set.The pliers are stored on a dowel inserted through the legs.The white & green board is a Teflon cutting board, non slip, Hanging down on the right is the head of my Foredom rotary tool (1/4 HP) The little 5 drawer cabinets are either garage sale or Goodwill items. (4) In the lower left is a Microsoft, 10" Surface computer. 8.1 OS to keep tract of all my inventory and watch movement items. It has pictures of every step I took in dis-assembly. For all 900 movements.

IHC Life Member
posted
The big HP 8600 printer, the three Dymos and my favorite Brother wide format unit. a 21" monitor, keyboard and mouse. The light blue object in the lower right is a unit for sealing plastic bags with parts.

IHC Life Member
posted
A different view of the work bench showing the pickup unit for the Ace 100 timing machine and my Marshal staking set. The material on the right of the table top is pipe insulation foam which curves around the bench top by itself, naturally. It will hold any tool with a pointed end and is going on two years without being replaced. The small work table is 10 " off the bench and is an old Breakfast in Bed table from the Goodwill for $3.00 and a Bamboo cutting board screwed to the top. The material with the little tools stuck in it is a left over piece of foam pipe wrap.The little table slides back and forth. The bench is a piece 6' X 3.5' sheet of 3/8 plywood. There are 10 drawers under the bench.

IHC Life Member
posted
My favorite the Lathe cart. The lathe is mounted on a bamboo cutting board from Wall Mart for $15.00 and then a Teflon cutting board on top of that. It is hinged to the table and when lifted, stays open until the leg is collapsed. Lift the unit up and find gravers and collets under it. The table contains a Jacot lathe, a polishing lathe, a Little Giant staking set and 24 drawers of movements. The buffer is a 6" dual wheel.

IHC Life Member
posted
Plus I have a big 3 bay shop with welders, plasma cutters, drill presses, gas welder & touch, chop saws, grinders, 50 gal air compressor.........

IHC Member 1691
posted
Patrick, that is so cool.

P

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Peter, I got a lot of my ideas from observing the shops of others. Thank you.
I vividly remember the day I joined the club and Lindell called me and we discussed how to get started and he sold me a lot of the items I now have. All I had was a dollar watch that I had revived and it still works today. He sent me another Big Ben and a 12s Elgin to practice with. We all owe a lot to the man.

IHC Member 1691
posted
Hi Patrick, I also get a lot of ideas looking at posts like yours.

Have a bit of workshop envy at the moment as we've moved a couple of times in the last 12 months so all the tools are packed up, no work bench etc.

Still picking up the odd watch here and there in anticipation...

Regards

Peter

IHC Member 1691
posted
Well Patrick, you inspired me to get organised and start setting up my own (modest) workspace after moving three times in the last 12 months.

Anyway, went off to the hardware place Saturday for materials, knocked up a bench on Sunday, and slowly getting stuff unpacked ready to use.

Bench doesn't have any drawers installed yet, but I have some loose ones I picked up from a jeweler across the road, and a nice tool chest full of stuff.

Here's a photo of the space:

IHC Member 1691
posted
and the worktop:

IHC Member 1691
posted
Not too bad for an afternoon in the shed.

Now, to start doing some watch work...

Regards

Peter

IHC Life Member
posted
Peter,,,,,,,GO GET EM! That is much better than what I started with. I like the Ace 100 and the lamp looks like a good one too.