• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hole Jewels? ("83 Waltham) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
How do you find out what you need as far as hole jewels go? I need the balance hole jewel for a "83 Waltham and dont have anything to go by. Its just gone from the setting. It is the lower or the one in the plate not the balance bridge. Can anybody help with info or parts? I also need the screw for the balance bridge. Soembody cleaned this thing and it was almost dripping oil when I got it. Roll Eyes

Nothing like a mess on Sunday morning. Wink

Thanks,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Hi Aaron

I found a little information that you may be able to put to use. In my Swigart book,under what I assume you are refering to as a 83Waltham, is in-fact a 18s movement.It lists:
#1476-foot hole jewel,ruby,lower,in small composition setting

#1478- Foot hole jewej,ruby,lower,in large composition setting.

#1484- foot,endstone or cap jewel,ruby,lower,in small composition setting.

#1486- foot endstone,or cap jewel,ruby,lower,in large composition setting.
I don't know about any diffrences in the pivot sizes,lists three diffrent balance shafts.

I hope this helps you, Frank

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Aaron,

What is the SN of the model 83. Waltham was pretty standard on their overall measurements of the jewel settings. But the jewel hole size did differ depending on the grade of the movement. Also, it sounds like this watch might have been used as a parts donor watch. do all of the serial numbers match? This would be important to know if you are looking to repair it. Also is the balance staff still in good shape?

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thamks for the info guys. Here is a photo of the movement. The balance is in good shape. The jewel was cracked and fell apart when I pushed it out. The watch was running fine it was just oil soaked when I got it. It looked like someone had dipped it in oil. The balance bridge screw head split when I removed it. All of the screws were really tight on the movement this was the only one that quit when I removed it.

She will run again. I just need the parts.

Thanks,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I got you covered Aaron.
I will e-mail you.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks to all for your help. This old dog will run again. Wink

Aaron

posted
Thanks Brian for helping Aaron out.That is the kind of help i like to see go on between members. Cool Cool

Kevin "Veritas" West