• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairsprings in the verge watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've just re-read the postings regarding Manuel's broken hairspring and wonder if we are misinterpreting the action of the hairspring in the verge escapement.

In the lever escapement the hairspring regulates the recoil and hence the motion of the balance. This, clearly, is why hairspring size is critical.

However, in the verge there is no appreciable recoil. As the top pallet drops off a tooth on the crown wheel the bottom pallet immediately begins its lift.

Since there is no real recoil isn't the function of the hairspring to provide resistance to the action of the balance and, in so doing, regulate the rate at which the pallets act on the crown wheel?

If I'm right in this assumption does it really matter what size the hairspring is or even, to an extent, how many coils are present? All that seems to be required is a spring of sufficient resistance and of sufficient length to allow some adjustment to the interval between each lift.

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
Hi Dick.
Waiting for the experts answer.
In my opinion isn´t easy make a hairspring.

I make one and works, but wacht runs 20 minutes more in one hour. More weak . But for stupid trying to fit better watch don´t runs.

I will trying to make my own hairspring and try to make more softer with acid and when I obtain a good result(if I can´t) I will post my comments.

Manuel

Posts: 31 | Location: Veracruz, México | Registered: April 06, 2008
posted
Hi guys.

Anybody can give us more information???

Thanks

Manuel

Posts: 31 | Location: Veracruz, México | Registered: April 06, 2008