• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clean and oil "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Cleaning soution & oil. What brands work good and where do I get it. I got my junker back together and it runs so now I need to clean it up and grease it up. Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Somebody help.
I got the itch and need to get this stuff on the road. Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
So the itch is bad eh?

Before you jump into one of your nice Hamiltons, here's a few things that you might want to keep your eyes open for:

Henry Fried's book, The Watch Repairer's Manual ISBN# 0-918845-11-4 and Donald de Carle's Practical Watch Repair ISBN# 0719800307 (which is in the mail to you). The initial tool needs for simple COA on a undamaged workpeice are relatively inexpensive. If you have a local chapter that has periodic meets, you can find almost everything you need for very little money. If you don't have a local chapter or can't make a regional, Tom Meiter's DashTo Horological DashTo Homepage is a great resource. Here's what to look for at marts:

Mainspring Winder (I found a great one for $20)
oil cups
dip type oilers
good tweezers (Dumont 3C)
pin vises
dust blower
good watchmaker's screwdrivers
movement holders
loupe or other magnifier (I use an old stereo dissecting microscope)

There will be a few things you should get from a supply house (LaRose or Casker):
pegwood
pithwood
watch cleaning solution (I use L&R No. 111)
Rinse (I use L&R No.3)
One Dip
watch oil (I use Mobius)
mainspring grease (again I use Mobius)
Hand and Cannon Pinion Removers
Rodico cleaning compound

If you weren't able to find good tweezers or screwdrivers at a mart, they are worth ordering from a supply house. Here's what I bought from LaRose and am very happy with:
Dumont Style 3C (TW403C- $23.50- Stainless steel anti magnetic)
Finest French Screwdrivers (061321 $50.00 for a set of 9 plus extra blades)
LaRose and Casker have much more in their catalogs than on their web site.

This is all you really need to clean oil and regulate a movement. I always manually clean my watches. I don't have that many to do, so I haven't needed the speed that an ultrasonic cleaning machine will give me. Besides, I am still in the learning process and find that the time allows the lesson to sink in.

Once you really get into this, there are many repairs that can be done easily. Anytime you open up an 80+ year old watch, you can expect to find problems.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks Mike,
I'm tooled up prety good just have to grab a couple of items when I roder my solutions and consumable supplys. Thanks alot and the check is in the mail.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432