Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stripped Case Screw Receptacle 974 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I don't know if receptacle is the right term but I have a 974 and the part of the movement into which the case screw threads is stripped.

I am not actually going to fix it because one screw holds fine but I would like to know the procedure to repair this problem.

Thanks

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hi Lorne , I was waiting for one of the pros to answer , having worked on machinery my whole life , I am familiar with repairing larger bolts and threads , using helicoil , inserts , welding and drilling , I would think on watches that if going a little larger is not practical , maybe you could close the hole and re-tap , I have yet to encounter it and would like to hear their answer.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Kevin, I was thinking the same and hope to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Lorne,

I typed in "stripped screw" into the Find-or-Search feature...

stripped screw

...not sure if any of these are helpful or not.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thank you Dr.D, it was helpful.

I've been around long enough to know the simplest search term is usually the best but sometimes..... well, thanks again.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

You are welcome Lorne Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002