Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HairSpring Replacement Help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
HairSpring replacement Help

The watch is a Lancashire 18 size Lever Escapement. It is like a Fusee without a chain.

This is a picture of the balance assembly BEFORE I dropped it and the hair spring got tangled. I gave it a novice attempt to handle it but alass, now I’m looking to replace it.

What make a hairspring the right replacement, if there are general catagories? Will one from the same size (diameter) balance wheel work. If true I can go with some greater resource of movements for ‘repair’.

The original trouble was it would quit running rarther quickly in a specific position. Plus the balance was could be moved in a wobble sense. But it did not appear off centered as it ran.

Took it apart for a cleaning. It has pressed in hole/cap jewel sets on the staff pivots. If i would take them out and do maintenance or replacement it would be my first at doing this. I have a jewel pressing attachment with my staking set.

I saw Bunn Special on youtube doing a removal with a brass setting like mine with a piece of pegWood.

Is Lancashire a part of Elgin?

Posts: 144 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2018
posted
Hi James , I was waiting to see if someone else jumped in , there is a method to sizing the right one , it is beyond my skills . I do have a couple fusee parts movements , I need to make 1 run . measure the shaft ,for the collet size ,post another picture from the top side, and I will look .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Kevin. The balance wheel is 16.23 mm and the staff diameter for the collet size is 0.87 mm

The plate that You see is 39.21 mm
The dial plate is 44.67 mm
The movement number is 523912 Lancashire Watch Company.
The hairspring stud mounts onto the bracket as in pic.

Regards,
James

posted
Ok James , I am at work for the weekend ,I will check on monday , I just need to measure the collet

posted
Gotcha. If it is the size of the collet’s opening diameter how do You get that measurement? I used a digital caliper for the staff. I don’t believe the inside caliper ‘jaw’ can get into a collet hole. But I haven’t tried.

I know there are hole gauges made that can get small. Could a screw gauge plate be used and you guesstimate?

posted
GREETINGS, THE SPRING COLLET FITS ON THE BALANCE STAFF WHY CAN'T YOU USE A MICROMETER AND MEASURE THE DIAMETER OF THE BALANCE STAFF? OR DID I MISS SOMETHING. EDDIE HINES

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Your right Eddie , I have a few fusee balances with hairsprings on I could measure the staff, also , they do make a taper pin tool to measure jewels with (i do not have) or what i do for small inside diameters like jewels or collets is use a broach and measure the broach

posted
ThankYou for the extra fine common sense idea Kevin. Sizing up a loose hair spring for helping out another guy with parts........good people Smile