WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can i remove the banking pins on full plate elgin? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone, as most of you know i am working on an 1884 elgin full plate. i want to do some work on the top plate but am afraid i will damage the banking pins. can i unscrew them and put them back afterwards. i know this will involve adjustments upon reassembly of the movement.
pics attached
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
second pic

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
NO! There is a Looonnnng reason why they are what they are. So the shortest reason to touch or remove them is NO!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thank you David, this time i will listen as opposed to last time.
the problem is, as my wife of 30 years will attest, i am incorrigible. i really want to play with them! but, based on your reaction, "nooooo!"
i definitely won't.
thanks David
Todd

dalarry

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
P.S. is it ok if i play with my poising tool?

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Todd,
David is right. They are removable but unless they are bent why would you want to? Don't even try to adjust them.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks guys, that is why i asked first. i have been searching past topics and couldn't find that.
tried my poising tool last night,(i brought a lot of watch stuff with me on vacation) and the balance was way out, but i didn't know to leave the roller table on, can't put it back til i get home in a week. really love my poising tool, i am just as enamoured with the tools as the watches.
going to polish the case now. genuine silveroid, (nickel)
thanks again
Todd

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Unless there are chips in the stones, Marshall is a great poising tool.
Carry a level with you and make sure the tool is perfectly level when you use it.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
it has a bubble level built in and the stones are smooth as silk. and it is sooo pretty. i want to polish it. i think i am developing a polishing fetish.

dalarry