• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stripped out screw holes, what can be done? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a friend with a 16s Illinois 17j two tone movement that I have cleaned in the past. unfortunately someone in the past stripped out the screw holes for 2 out of the 3 screws in the winding plate. This isnt a problem unless he overwinds it causing issues. What can be done? I have tried different screws so I know it is not a problem with them but the holes in the plate.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim several different things can be done with proper tools like rethreading too a bit larger size but you have too have the proper taps and then a screw to match with a head that will fit in the holes in your plate,,if you rethread the holes you sometimes have too make a screw too match or go too say a elgin screw that is just a bit larger too match the new thread in your pillar plate .

Something you can try that might work is permatex high strength threadlocker red in color ,this will work on a lot of screws that will screw in but not tighen down..apply it to the threads then put it in the plate an let it set several hours. If you do this there will be no harm done too the plates and you will be surpised how good it works. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks Samie, since I dont have the taps I will give the permatex a shot. Since it will do no harm its worth a try. Will I be able to take the screws out later?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Another suggestion is Permatex® Stripped Thread Repair

It is a two part kit that makes pretty good threads. I used it on a Harley exhaust stud in the aluminum head and it lasted for years. One kit would do many watches.

Posts: 60 | Location: Pepperell, Massachusetts USA | Registered: January 11, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim yes you can get the screws back out a little heat with a solder iron does the trick,if they are that tight after using the locktight that,s what you want is for them too hold,, Wink

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
This is just a followup to leave info for others who may run into this problem.
I went with the blue locktight first because I thought it was best to try the solution that would cause the least problem to remove first. This is because once dry it holds but the screw can me removed with just a screwdriver and a little more force than normal.
The blue locktight worked good for me on the stripped screws and I have since used it on other stripped screws. The screws can easily be taken out, and it seems to repair the threads somehow as they dont slip but screw back in. A small bottle will last a watch person a long time, well worth the $5 I spent.
Thanks Samie and Mac for the help in this topic. Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If there is not a lot of torque required to hold the plate I have stripped them down to the bare plate and then used a 60/40 solder the fill the hole with a screw in it. When cool you will have to sand or scrape the solder to the same height as the plate so you can get the screw head free of anything that would retain it and then with a good solid bite of the screwdriver twist it out. Another way is to use a screw that is way to long and solder it in the hole and then twist it out. Also if you can screw the screw in from the back side it will come right out. Solder is very soft so if you try to tighten it too much you will strip it. Use 70/30 solder if you can find it. 70% tin and 30% solder. But like Sammie says Permatex is easier to use and works good but may not have the same strength as 70/30. You NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL not to overheat the Pillar plate as you could warp it. Experiment with a scrap unit first.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
I agree with Samie. I've had good luck using Permatex Threadlocker. You can even remove and reinsert the screws and the "new" threads still hold.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011