• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

case repair and plating Is it worth doing? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Any suggestions on casing replating? I have a salesmans display case that needs something done about all the brassing. Thanks.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2008
posted
I've been wondering the same thing. I figure there has to be platers in Phoenix to do nickel and gold.

If it can be done reasonably I'd go for it on a few of my cases. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Posts: 26 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona in the USA | Registered: April 20, 2010
posted
Guys, Before you have any cases replated, please do a search of this topic that has been discussed in the past. The majority opinion is the results is not satisfactory and short-lived. Click on the advanced search and go back about 1-2 years and read all you ever wanted to know about replating cases.
BJ

BJ Williamson

Posts: 45 | Location: Winona, Mississippi in the USA | Registered: December 31, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
John, Tim & Bobby Joe, I agree, cases can be replated, and if done right, they will look good.But, if you carry the watch often, the new gold plate will wear off again.Gold filled and rolled gold plate cases start out with much thicker gold than electroplating can do.I have replated a few of my own cases that I really like, using a pen-plating system I got from Caswell Plating in Lyons, N.Y.It's a really good product, intended for doing small stuff, like a watch case.The color of the gold comes out a darker shade than the original case color, so I do the entire case, inside the back and bezel too.I went over them several times , to build up the gold thickness.They end up looking pretty nice, but I don't carry them very often.The ideal thing about this, is you can redo them yourself, if need be.The gold solution has a shelf life, so you have to use it before it expires.But, like everyone agrees, a replate case is never as good as as it was when new.I personally don't mind a little brass showing, especially on RR watches, since we all know they had a hard life under the worse conditions!Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I was mostly interested in nickel plating. I'll look for the gold pen, though. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 26 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona in the USA | Registered: April 20, 2010