• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Broken staff? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Newbee question. How does one tell if a staff is broken? Please answer assuming I know nothing. I have a 19j 18s BWR that quit on me it winds but will not run. It was running fine and just quit. any ideas? Thanks guys,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
You will never prosper if you live your life in fear.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I'm prety sure by looking at it it has a broken staff. It wants to run face up but in no other position. Anyone want to help out and fix this dude for me. Hey! do I hear, paying customer? Big Grin

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

Cut a very small slip of bond paper to use as a probe. Make a 90 degrees crease on one end and gently insert it under the balance wheel rim. GENTLY lift on the balance and then press down to see if it wobbles. GENTLY rotate the balance back and forth and check if the escape wheel is turning. If it is not, the gear train is not supplying power to the escapement.

Usually, the watch must receive quite a shock to break a balance staff pivot. Sudden stoppage could be caused but not limited to the following:

1. Broken or loose roller jewel.
2. Broken or loose pallet jewel(s).
3. A foreign object, such as lint or hair, is jamming the gear train.
4. Broken main spring (easily confirmed).
5. Loose balance screw that has backed out and made contact with the train plate or balance cock.

OR jump in your car and drive it up to Rosamond, CA. I live about 60 miles North of LA, off the 14 freeway. Smile

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John, Maybe I'll do just that. Ive been trying to meet all the IHC guys in the area anyway. I used to race up there so I know the area a little. E-mail me in private or send me your phone # and I'll give you a call. Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432

posted
If it winds forever I'd look at the mainspring slipping. If it winds full and stops that could be many things, A roller jewell to the staff. Lightly shake it side to side and see if the balance wheel turns correctly (if it wobbles its broke for sure). Another method if you don't use brute force is gently touch the balance wheel with your fingers or grab with a pair of tweezers and see if it moves up and down or is tight (no much end play). Your balance wheel should rotate but have very little play in the horz. plane.

Hope that helps some

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003