Internet Horology Club 185
Accutron 214 Coil

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/284106723

August 15, 2010, 13:11
Ethan Schuman
Accutron 214 Coil
I am new to the group so please excuse any faux pas.
Does anyone have any experience in repairing the 214 coil? Any suggestions or guidelines?
I am able to diagnose the problem but fixing it is something else.
thanks
Ethan
August 16, 2010, 11:42
Scott Cerullo
Hi,
You can attempt to repair the coil with quartz watch conductive silver epoxy repair kit. You need to physically see the damage on the coil, which on the Accutron should be easy enough. This is not the perfect solution, and it is noticeable, since the product is silver and not copper.
The only other solution that i know of, is to replace the coil.

www.pawatchmaker.com
August 17, 2010, 00:20
Ethan Schuman
Thank you for your response. I'll check again for a visible break
Ethan
August 18, 2010, 10:54
Ethan Schuman
I did find the open point was the resistor. I went to the electronics store but they could not identify the exact Ohm rating of the resistor. So they sold me a selection. I did try them and got continuity but not the correct amount of resistance.
Does anyone know the exact typ of resistor to use?
thank you all
Ethan
August 18, 2010, 11:55
Scott Cerullo
Ethan,
I would take a look on Ebay for a coil with the plastic kidneys attached. This way you get the green plastic parts with the resistor, and all you have to do is put in in the watch. These can usually be found for about $65. It has got to be easier than trying to replace just a resistor, unless you can find an actual Accutron part replacement. Then keep the old parts, since the coils are good, or you can sell them on Ebay and recoup some of the money.

www.pawatchmaker.com
August 30, 2010, 13:44
Ethan Schuman
Thank you all for your responses. I did finally find a 214 coil that was good! Now I have a collection of broken ones. Next question: Does anyone know how to repair them?

thanks
Ethan
September 03, 2010, 17:13
Scott Cerullo
Ethan,
A broken coil is usually a break in the copper wire that is wrapped around it. There is no fixing it, except for the above mentioned way, or unless you can find a company with the ability to re-wrap that wire around it. It is not something that would normally be done by a watchmaker, if ever.

www.pawatchmaker.com