• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron 214 Coil "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am new to the group so please excuse any faux pas.
Does anyone have any experience in repairing the 214 coil? Any suggestions or guidelines?
I am able to diagnose the problem but fixing it is something else.
thanks
Ethan

Posts: 13 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi,
You can attempt to repair the coil with quartz watch conductive silver epoxy repair kit. You need to physically see the damage on the coil, which on the Accutron should be easy enough. This is not the perfect solution, and it is noticeable, since the product is silver and not copper.
The only other solution that i know of, is to replace the coil.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Thank you for your response. I'll check again for a visible break
Ethan

Posts: 13 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2010
posted
I did find the open point was the resistor. I went to the electronics store but they could not identify the exact Ohm rating of the resistor. So they sold me a selection. I did try them and got continuity but not the correct amount of resistance.
Does anyone know the exact typ of resistor to use?
thank you all
Ethan

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Ethan,
I would take a look on Ebay for a coil with the plastic kidneys attached. This way you get the green plastic parts with the resistor, and all you have to do is put in in the watch. These can usually be found for about $65. It has got to be easier than trying to replace just a resistor, unless you can find an actual Accutron part replacement. Then keep the old parts, since the coils are good, or you can sell them on Ebay and recoup some of the money.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Thank you all for your responses. I did finally find a 214 coil that was good! Now I have a collection of broken ones. Next question: Does anyone know how to repair them?

thanks
Ethan

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Ethan,
A broken coil is usually a break in the copper wire that is wrapped around it. There is no fixing it, except for the above mentioned way, or unless you can find a company with the ability to re-wrap that wire around it. It is not something that would normally be done by a watchmaker, if ever.