Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

help with disassembly of 1884 elgin Gr. 96 please "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
Hi everyone, Todd the beginner here.
i am attempting to diassemble an 1884 elgin Gr. 96.
the balance wheel and bridge, barrel bridge, and barrel are out. this is a non-runner i purchased for practice, but i really love it and don't want to hurt it. i have researched all i can and i understand to remove the screws then flip it over and remove the pillar plate so as not to damage the pallet fork with the potence.why does this make a difference? will the pallet fork stay in place with the potence if upside down?
thanks
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
sorry, forgot pic
this thing is filthy inside

dalarry

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Todd, On these type watches, if you were to remove the top plate you could damage the pallet fork by dragging it out along with the top plate.
The end of the fork that connects with the balance wheel extends into that little round opening on the plate.
Actually, I remove the top plate watching carefully to relieve the end of the pallet fork.

I'm sure others here can give you a more specific detailed answer.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Todd,

I have worked on many 18 size Elgin's and as long as you take your time and do not force the top plate up you will have no issues. The trick is to be patient and take your time! Big Grin The re-assembly of a full plate watch is another matter. I have found that the best way to put the movement back together is to work from the top plate up; basically building the watch upside down. This way the pallet fork will be in the potence when you cover it with the pillar plate. Once all of the arbors are in their jewels / holes and properly located, carefully turn the movement over and screw in the top plate.

Hope this helps! Best of luck. Smile

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi guys, i got the movement apart and didnt do any damage. this thing is horribly filthy, hairs, lint etc. the old oil has the viscosity of maple syrup. don't know yet how to clean that out of the jewels. (research time) took lots of pics to help with reassembly, but i think that is a few weeks away.
Todd

dalarry

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
a pic of my high tech storage system

dalarry

posted
Todd,

The best way to clean the plate jewels is to peg them out. Search for pegwood which is a soft wood which will take the shape of the jewel hole when pushed into the hole. You will want to sharpen the point of the pegwood, dip it in some watch cleaner and push it into the jewels and turn. Also make sure to clear any dried oil around the jewel. After pegging run the parts through your cleaner.

Check out pithwood to clean pivots.

I like your storage unit!! Big Grin

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Todd,

Rob is spot on about the peg and pith woods; absolutely necessary tools for watch work. They can be found at any of the larger watch/ clock supply houses or on the web.

Love the ice cube storage tray, great idea ... I would recommend looking for a thread / bead/ button / notions box (check out hobby or fabric stores). This provides the same function as the ice tray but has a locking cover that keeps the parts clean and Safe!! Big Grin It has allowed me to walk away from the bench for a few days and I do not have to worry about the parts. It is also very important to keep all your tools, parts and work surfaces clean. Smile

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
You must separate the balance from the balance cock, otherwise you stand a good chance of damaging it. I keep a loose balance completely separate from other heavy parts as much as possible, if you use the tray I would put the balance, pallet and escape wheel in one tray section, and away from anything heavy plate/part that could be dropped on to them by accident.
Good practice to remove dial hands first and put into small box with lid and keep out of the way until you clean those parts, especially important for non porcelain dials. if your not working on the parts cover them once clean, you will be amazed at how much lint, dust and stuff is floating around.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi guys, i bought 10 of those ice cube trays specifically because they have good locking covers. yesterday i purchased peg and pithwood as well as a roller remover and mainspring winder and bench keys from uncle Larrys. I want do this right. going to remove the balance from the balance cock now as per instructions. until i receive the peg and pithwood the cleaning of the movement is on hold so I am going to concentrate on cleaning and polishing the case for now.
I really appreciate the help i am receiving from all of you and will surely need more upon cleaning and reassembly.
thanks
Todd

dalarry