Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Desktop Watch Bench "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I was browsing around on eBay and came across this small work bench. It should work great for those who have to work from a normal height desk. I've done that before and it really hurts your neck and back. This item should bring your work up to the correct height.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have a friend who has one someting like this he build,,he set it on top of a desk then the height was about right..I used on of the old watchmakers bench,s i never did have enough room,,so i made myself a bench with a cabient on each end and a 7ft long top the same height as the old watchmakers bench,s..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
John,
I bought this exact bench on eBay almost exactly a year ago, but I paid almost twice the amount of the starting bid on the one in your link!! The bench worked out very well for me, but a couple of months ago I bought a used watchmaker's bench from a guy who is no longer working on watches -- a beautiful bench, with drawers and a lap tray, etc. I paid only slightly more than I did for the small work bench, so I guess I did all right. I am really enjoying my "new" bench, but the small one shown in your link did do the job in the meantime.
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Hi! Looks like a good thing at first sight, at second guess it will be uncomfortable to work with because arms rest on the thin edges. Could be a good basis for a modest conversion though (!!!) and of course price is attractive (goes for quality too?).
Before I got my watchmakers' bench - needless to say that is the best you can have - I had designed my own portable workplace for the living room and a carpenter made it for me (don't ask for the price...labour cost in Germany is astronomical). Solid cherry wood and green leather, draw holds the tools, underside of the draw cover has the rubber surface for tools in use. Not as high as the one from eBay, but very comfortable to work on. Also, nothing rolls off from work area to any side, and leather is softer so things don't bounce off so far. Then I made the work surface on steel tool box myself, used blue leather). Inside dimensions same as the wooden one so the whole thing is interchangeable. I find both very useful if you don't have the bench handy. Hope this gives some ideas what can be done, see pictures please.

Chris.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
posted
Picture 2

posted
Picture 3 (last)