Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Westclox Stem Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I took a Westclox out of the case and can't get the stem back in. What's the trick?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Try lifting up on the pin, the same way you probably had to do, to get the stem out.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks Brian, but I didn't lift up on any spring. the stem simply pulled out. I looked but do not see a pin. Here is a photo of the movement.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ernie, I can see the pin on your movement. What you have to do is reach in the round hole, by the F on the regulator scale, with a wire hook. Lift up and you will see the pin come up. Then you should be able to put the stem in.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks Brian. I was able to lift up on the pin but the stem would not go down into place. I tried another stem but the same results. This watch didn't have a stem in it when I got it.

There is a gear with a square hole that winds the mainspring at the edge of the movement. the square hole is too small to allow the round part of the stem to go through it so the crown doesn't go back down to the base of the case.

Also, the watch will wind but will not move the hands to set the time.

I have another Westclox that is just a parts watch so I took the winding gear out and tried to put it on the stem. My suspicion is correct. The square hole is smaller than the round part of the stem.

I realize I have to be smarter than the watch but this has me thinking I am really challenged.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ernie, don't feel bad. Look at the movement, no screws anywhere, plastic gears. These watches weren't made to repair.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
You are right about that Brian. I though putting a stem in the watch would be easier. The dial is a masonic dial and the watch runs great. I just can't make it salable with a stem.

I have decided to sell all of my dollar watches as a lot. Look for them on the IHC185 auction.