Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Making Mickey Mouse Hands "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I'm working on an old Mickey Mouse pocket watch that is missing the minute hand. Lindell was kind enough to loan me an old Mickey watch that had original hands on it for a pattern. This was my first try at fabricating a minute hand from scratch and hopefully it will look okay after a paint job.

I'm not sure what the original hand composition is but it appears to be some grade of steel. My MM hand was made from .020" brass plate. I'm thinking about using Testors model paint but afraid it may not adhere well to the brass. Does anyone know how best to prepare brass for paint or am I just wishing?

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
John D.
Can not help you with painting, but do want to compliment you on a nice job cutting out the hand. What did you use and how did you shape it? Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Wayne,

Thanks! Although brass is very easy to work with, the next try will probably be with steel. Brass is just too soft.

I basically outlined the shape of the original hand with a scribe. I then used a Dremel grinding wheel to remove material quickly and small jeweler's files for the final work.

It's not my best piece of work but from normal viewing distance it should pass the laugh test! Big Grin Big Grin

John D. Duvall

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
John D.,
How ingenious of you John! Your fabrication of Mickey's arm really looks good! Smile

I'm impressed, as usual, by you and your many talents! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

[This message was edited by Stephanie O'Neil on February 08, 2004 at 16:14.]

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Nice job on Mickey,s hand.Did you have to prepare the brass to paint it?
Is that a old watch John ?

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Steph & Kevin.

I cleaned the hand with denatured alcohol and then painted it. So far it seems to be adhering to the hand okay. I have a good scan of the seconds disc, dial and both hands for future use.

John D. Duvall

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...nice piece of work JD...I think I would attempt the same if I had the Mickey '33 Ingersoll...have the Bradley pw and several wws but still looking for the Ingersoll...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Jim,

Thanks!

Don't forget to add an old running Ingersoll dollar watch of the same vintage to your collection. You might need the movement to fix a Mickey when you find one. I believe the basic movement is the same. Just the dial and hands are different.

John D. Duvall