Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford Balance staff jewels question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Rockford Balance staff jewels question

What type of jewels does this watch have? There is a slot in the jewel setting as if it was designed to be removed with a flat blade screwdriver?
I've cleaned and oiled the movement, but the balance rotates only about 90 degrees face down and won't run at all face up. The staff pivots are good, so I suspect the jewels in the balance cock.
If I'm on track so far, how do I remove the balance cock jewel? Does it push out from the top side?
Any and all advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
bottom side

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Dave,
Jewels push out thru the bottom...Just take your screwdriver and unscrew that cover over the jewels on the bottom of the cock and push the jewels out thru the bottom...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Gary, Thanks man!
I've got some new info after studying this. The watch runs better dial side down if I give it a puff of air to start it. Then when I turn it over with the balance up it runs sluggish with the 90 degree arc. So, now I'm thinking dial side jewel? (If the pivot's bent I can't see it.) Here's a picture of the dial side. If I understand you correctly I can screw that brass bushing out? Looks like this side has been peened slightly.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1613
posted
Dave,
Yes it should screw out to remove the jewels on the dial side as well...I don't like that the cover has been peened like that it might be hard to remove.....For some reason the person had to peen it to hold the jewels in tight...Maybe the screw cover was striped or maybe the cover was to small I don't know...I guess you will have to experiment with it a little and see..Maybe you can file those little pieces of medal that seem to be pushing against the jewel before you try to screw the bushing out???

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Gary,
Now that you've explained to me what it should have been like, I think someone has tried to tighten it up. I did try to screw it out and it wanted to cock to one side. So, I put it back in without removing it entirely, and now it seems to run much better? Think I'll leave it alone for now.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This Rockford still wants to stop when I turn it from dial up to dial down.
Looks like that jewel has to come out but it's a little cantankerous. The jewel setting is slotted on both sides of the plate. Do the jewel settings both screw out from each side? They are both slotted.

Dave Turner