WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    1896 Elgin Grade 153 Finished, thank you for your advice and support.
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1896 Elgin Grade 153 Finished, thank you for your advice and support. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Hi all,

Just finished the COA on a commissioned buy for a client. The watch was gummed up and would not even try to run when it came in. After the COA it runs with a beat error of 3ms in all positions and runs at 17976 to 17978 in all positions... does not deviate more than plus or minus 1 beat.

I've heard tell that these watches predate the requirement to be marked for position adjustments, but the numbers tell me this is a 5 position watch if not 6 positions.

Now, I have no idea how to speed it up with no mean time screws... The hair spring is conveniently pinned to the stud... should I slip the hair spring a couple millimeters? Or is there another method short of shaving the balance weights I have not learned yet.

The regulator was biased toward fast when it came in... I can get it to 17999 if I run the regulator all the way to fast, but would rather make the permanent adjustment... just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I go unpinning the hairspring and putting myself in harms way.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
And, while we're at it... who is C.W. Mfg. Co.

Any guess as to the era of this short stem pendent set hunter case?

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
most important, what is the amplitude, FU/FD/PU
did you demagnetize it?
have a very close look at balance screw for added timing washers.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
[quote] "And, while we're at it... who is C.W. Mfg. Co.?" [end quote]

That would be Courvoisier Wilcox Manufacturing Company.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks Buster... it looked a bit like the JBoss football... but I somehow knew it was neither Keystone nor Crescent Watch Case Co.

Chris, Thank you for bringing me back to the basics. I'll demag it and break out my 20X to look for balance weights when I get back to my bench tonight.

As for the amplitude, this thing has wonderful free balance assembly checks in all positions and when assembled, runs with a full amplitude of 270 in all positions. There is no visual or audible change in her cadence or amplitude as I roll her through the positions.

IHC Life Member
posted
Also check to see that the regulator pins are not spread too far apart. If the gap is even only slightly too wide you can have a substantial slowing of the timing.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks to all who replied or called.

I'm fascinated that de-maging the watch gained me 2 beats per hour. The balance weights were unfettered, no washers, no undercuts.

Dave called to recommend undercutting the balance weights, but I really wanted to avoid this if I could.

As it turned out, unpinning the hair spring and slipping it a four millimeters over shot my mark from being 20 beats slow to 30 beats fast... it took me another three attempts to find the exact position to pin the hair spring to hit my mark at 18000.

The trick was to take a new full length spring pin from my meager stock... chuck the smallest one I had up in the lathe... Then I used Mommas nail file board with the finest grit she has... and turned the pin down small enough for the hairspring stud hole.

Working with a full length un-cut pin was much easier than feeding the original cut pin in and out as I narrowed down the mark for the final position.

As expected, moving the hairspring did affect beat error moving it from 3ms to about 9ms... but I was able to correct this by rotating the hairspring collet in the opposite direction from the hairspring stud adjustment...

I should be done with the case and crystal work tomorrow.. pictures to follow.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Tada!

IHC Member 1736
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1736
posted
front

IHC Member 1736
posted
back

IHC Member 1736
posted
hinge, I am particularly fond of cases that carry the art work from cover to cover across the body of the case.

IHC Life Member
posted
Nice job...looks great.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
This watch got me off my wallet to buy the Ehrhardt Elgin Grade and Serial Number book.

His book indeed has the grade 153 listed as an RR watch.

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Great job Paul, beautiful looking PW!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks guys,

I broke down and spent a couple hours sorting out a better crown... New sleeve, new stem, new crown...

I think I can call this one done.