Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E.Howard Keystone Series 11 Lever-Set Problem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I have a Howard series 11 RR Chrono serial no. 1,181,334.. It had a case screw broken off. My very old 85 year old watchman disassembled the watch and sucessfully extracted the broken screw. However I discovered that now when you pull out the set lever to set time, it snaps back in on its own. In another words you must hold the lever out to set time or it will snap back on its own and not allow you to set time. Without seeing the movement would you think something has been put back in wrongly or a part was left out? These early Howards series 11's had the snap on dials I think up until serial no. 1,360,000. Then they were fitted with the footed dials. So that means the pre 1,360,000 mvmts. used a bezeled snap on dial and will not fit in the Howard "safety bar" cases as they are just a bit too large on the dial side to fit. But my problem is with the set lever only and I appreciate a little trouble shooting from my brothers who are more versed than I. Thanks a bunch! buster beck

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Buster,

A combination of wear and fresh lubrication may well be the cause of the setting problem. A little bit of re shaping of the set lever maybe all it needs, given the fact it does set/wind, and springs back I doubt parts are missing.

Hope that helps

Chris

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Buster

Here is the setting mechanism for a series 11 with the snap on dial, when you pull the lever out to set the time, it just barely catches on the upright arm on the right.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thank you Chris & Tom !! Chris lives 25 miles from me and has so much info it is remarkable, and quite the reknowned watchmaker! Tom I can really appreciate pictures as it gives the laymen[such as I am] the ability to know what I need to be looking for or not be looking for. I can spend all my time reading old posts on all aspects of watch topics. For $12. a year it has to be the biggest bargain I have ever made and I wish for everyone to spend the $12. and just maybe we would have a few less mangled watches out there!! I will pull the snap on dial later and see what I can see. Thanks again! buster beck

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Well I pulled the hands and dial and at first I didn't see any problem. But then I studied and studied the picture Tom sent of a like watch in the setting position and it hit me Eek!! The very small end of the spring on the left edge of the set lever was bent down between the end of the lever and the winding gears! So naturally when you pulled the lever out the spring would push the lever back in Big Grin!! After removing the set lever and carefully bending the tiny spring end back up, I repositioned the set lever and viola Big Grin, it now works beautifully again!! I have dealt pockets for some 20+ years and other than changing a case-dial-hands, this is my very first repair job and I am grinning like a possum Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin!! Thanks so very much to Chris & Tom who without their help it would have been back to the watch doctor for me!! I really appreciate your help. As a final note- if you don't know, ASK, if that fails take it to a qualified watch technician and save the watches !!!!! Regards, buster beck

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Great Buster

I am surprised the piece didn't break off when you straightened it you were lucky. Glad you got it going again.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007