• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rough winding and setting problems. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a Father Time 21j serial #9502501.

Winding and setting are rough, even with a big ole pumpkin head crown. It feels like it is catching and skipping as I wind it.

There's a tight or rough spot about once per revolution (not in the same place) of the min hand when setting. Otherwise the setting is fairly smooth. The rough spot is not there when setting it in reverse direction.

Thanks for any suggestions

Charlie

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Charlie,

Do you have another similar Elgin and you could try setting this movement into the other case?

Sometimes a "test drive" like that helps narrow it down.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
The first thing I would look at is the cannon pinion. From your description I think you need to look at the lubrication of the entire winding and setting system. I see this type of problem alot with watches that were dipped dyred and shipped out the door.
Lins suggestion to try another case will confirm the problem.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
I pulled it out of the case and the symptoms persists.

Pulled the dial and check the cannon pinion and the tension seems ok. With the minute wheel in place, there is a definite skip when setting in the forward position, that is not there in the reverse setting position. The rough winding is still there. I have taken it in for a C&O and let the pros have a look at it.

Thanks, Charlie

posted
Well, it was the minute wheel.

Watchmaker watched the gears as he wound & set it and notice the min wheel would jump when the watch skipped.

Found an old one in his parts bin that matched up and tried it. Smoothed it right out. He said the min wheel was warped.

Thanks for all the suggestions.