Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Broken staff question on a Waltham model 1883 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Broken staff question on a Waltham model 1883

This watch is my first attempt at learning pocket watch repair. Got it pretty cheap at a farm auction and it looked pretty nice and appeared complete.

Replaced the broken "dumbell" spring thanks to Dave Abbe for the part.

Since the balance wheel seemed too wobbly, I was thinking it had a broken staff. Bought some movements on e-bay and tried to use the parts, but they all seem to bind up in some way or another. Are these staffs made to fit the individual watch? Where do I go from here ?
I'd be completely lost without the help of this group.
Thanks, Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
posted
Until the more knowledgeable appear, the best I can tell from information to hand, is that the 1883 seems to utilise either #1364 or #1365 Staff which is ~5.85mm and available in pivot sizes 10 - 15. The #1365 has a small waist.

Waltham 1883 #1364

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
posted
Thanks for your help Gareth.

Don

posted
Finally got home and checked Swigart which states #1365 for U, A & P Grades but no pivot size info. Hope you manage to get it sorted out.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Donald, The Model 1883 seems to have had many "small" changes during it's 40 odd years of production. Many of these confound us in their little inexplicable "deviations". Roll Eyes One(for sure) is the end-play dimensions for the balance staff. In short, to fix this is not really a "beginner's course", I would instead refer to it more often as the "beginner's curse" . . . both figuratively and literally.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Gareth and Dave. I'm finding out that the mod. 1883 does have it's quirks.
Thanks for the help.
Don

IHC Member 229
posted
What area of this balance staff is considered the "waist"?

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002