• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin balance wheels with staffs "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering, i have a elgin watch grade 313,which is around 1933.
I have a watch for parts that is a grade 291 about 1923.Would the balance from this watch fit the other.How compatible are the staffs on the 16 sz balance wheels.These are single roller also.
I read somewhere i think that alot of 16 sz elgins used the same balance wheel or staff? Razz Razz

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

It should work okay for you. Both grades use the same balance wheel, staff and hairspring. However, you may want to verify that each is original to the movement by comparing serial numbers on the underside of each balance wheel arm to the movement. The balances you currently have may or may not be original to their movements. With that said, make sure the pivot hole jewels fit the staff pivots. The pivots should measure approx .12mm. If serviceable, you may want to consider moving the balance jewels from the donor movement along with the balance.

Personally, I would repair the problems with the balance without doing any swapping but without the required tools and experience, you sometimes have to improvise.

Hope this helps.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks John,I hope to get into some balance work later.I still need a few more tools before i tackle it.

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada