• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

plate replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering if i can replace a plate that is jeweled , replacing a plate that was not jewelled.
Is there a difference in the pivots.
That is asuming you check the plate to make sure same shape, size pins line up and screw holes.

posted
While it is feasibly possible to get a match, especially with mass produced American movements, there are hazards...

Most plates are numbered so the serial numbers will not match. A sure sign of a "put together from parts" watch, which many frown upon.

Even within the same model movement, microscopic variations in pivot hole alignemt can cause problems.

The spec size of the pivot holes can vary from one grade of a model to another, causing mismatched pivot hole sizes from one side of the plate to another.

I'm sure that there are other reasons... Feel free to chime in folks. IMHO, If at all possible, it is better to fix a plate rather than replace one.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I must concur, strongly, with Mike's comments. Pivot sizes are very likely to be different, requiring additional modifications to make it work. Most important, to many of us, it will make it a bastardized watch, of little or no value to a collector. Future owners could easily be mislead by the appearance of jeweling that is not matched on the bottom plate. Watches with similar switches come under discussion quite regularly in our Pitfalls column.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003