Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hunter Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
I have a 12s hunter case that needs the front cover spring changed-out. The springs are kept in place by small pins,that only have one way in, and one way out.What is the trick,if any, to getting these pins out, so as to remove the springs without damaging the case in the process.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Frank,

It's hard to say without having the case in-hand. I've seen everything from steel set screws to brass taper pins holding the lift spring in place. Most likely these are steel pins that can be driven out with a tiny punch, recovered and reused. The trick is to find a replacement spring with holes that will align with the case holes. That being unlikely, you will need a good quality drill to make new holes in the spring to match your case holes. I've seen many cases where someone just made a new hole(s) in the case to match the spring holes. In either case, the bezel will cover the area.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Hi John

Thanks for the reply. When you say "drive those pins out",there is only one hole for them on one side of the case, to be let-in. There is no hole on the opposite side of the case to let them out. By driving,do you mean to drive them thru,making a exit hole as they are driven out the other side. Or is there a way to take them out of the same hole that they entered. The pins look to be made of steel.

FRank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Frank,

The only cases that I've worked on (not that many) had a hole through the bottom. Now it sounds like you will need to either drill the pin out or try and drill a small hole under the existing pin and drive it out from that direction. Without having the case in-hand or a close-up picture of the affected area, I'm really just guessing at what could be done.

posted
Hi John

I will take some pictures of the case in question this weekend. Where's a casemaker when you need him. Smile

Frank

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
quote:
lift spring

Where would be the best place to buy a replacement lift spring?

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Ronny,

I found all of mine on eBay. You might also try dashto.com

Good luck!

posted
Hi John

Here are the pictures, I hope they can help you.

Frank

posted
Pic. #2

posted
Pic #3

posted
Pic. #4

posted
Pic. #5

IHC Life Member
posted
Frank,

On this particular case, the pin you are seeing is going through part of the spring. You should be able to drive the pin down through the upper part of case until it clears. You can then remove the spring.

posted
John, thanks for the information. I'll try driving the pins out,later this week;will let you know how I make out.

Frank

posted
Hi John

You where right about the length of those pins. I was able to drive them out with a small punch; springs came out easilly after that. Now the trick is to match them with replacements. Thanks again for your help.

Frank

IHC Life Member
posted
Congrats Frank!

Keep on the lookout for a similar size case that has the front cover badly bent or missing. Many of these are real bargains with parts such as movement, stem, sleeve, bow, springs, crown and if you're lucky, a bezel.

Don't forget that you can file a spring down that is too wide and drill an extra hole in the case to match the hole in the spring. It is preferable to drill a matching hole in the spring but the flange might be located in a different area than your case hole.

Good luck in your search!

posted
Hi John

I was able to find a scrap case in the junkbox with a spring that was almost an exact match. Just had to file the opening a little wider for the catch,and also the bezel had to be opened out a small amount. Happy to say that the case closes like when new. I think we have a keeper.

Frank