here is moder spin on watchmaker bench

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
and super modern with screen

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Interesting Peter, except they're both missing that necessary top rim, and the second is short on drawers. Also noticing that they lack a 'catch pullout' underneath center for parts rolling toward you. If a balance bridge screw flies into the keyboard, you'll be cussing. Optionally useful would be Plexiglas walls and roof to catch ICBM missle screws.
Smile

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
And their brethren, the escape springs...

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Guys,

The trick is to not let your parts go airborne! Smile It looks like both pieces have a perimeter curb to prevent "rollaways" and I like that both also appear to have adjustable leg height and forearm rests. I worked for years with the standard model that we all know and developed neck and back problems during that time because of the poor ergonomics. A good adjustable seat also helps quite a bit. When you sit and focus for hours on demanding work, good work furniture is a blessing.

But always keep some magnets handy...I did!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I like the first one Peter. It don't take much to bond a cherry or oak wood strip around the perimeter. and I would rather wear an apron that you can snap to the bottom of the bench under the lip in front.

As for the second one it's OK too. You just have to invest about $50.00 worth of drawers from garage sales or Office Depot. I like not having to switch desks to use the computer and if the keyboard drawer is in as it should be during non use you should not catch ICBMs. Plus you can always wear an apron to catch them UFOs.
Also William is on the spot.
Where did you find these and are they expensive?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Don't get to excited, these often run several thousand dollars, plus those sucky blowy things you can add another good chunk + a very high dollar pump they require also. You could have a professional make better out of fine hardwood far cheaper.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I found some more in Donald de Carle's 6th edition of Watchmakers and Model Engineer's Lathe, Users manual. Besides some very Beautiful, fully capable lathes you will find the desks starting on p, 196. You will need a towel to view these as you will drool.
This kind of stuff I just automatically pass by as I know I can't afford it. Maybe Bill Gates or Paul Allen, but not me.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011