Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller table help please "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hello, I recently replaced a balance staff in a 16 size South Bend, with a double roller. When I reassembled the watch, I discovered that the roller table is loose on the staff- the watch initially ran until the roller jewel slipped out of the pallet fork. So here I am, wondering how to close that hole, or are there other options to correct this problem. Thoughts? Thanks. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Gary,
You have two good choices and one bad one. You can get a new staff that is the proper thickness for the roller table. You can use the punch mentioned in your other post. I think the worst case, desperate repair would be to super glue it on. But before all of that, you should make sure that you had the roller table all the way on the staff to begin with.
Good Luck with it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hi Scott, Thanks for the reply. Regarding punches, there is a punch with 4 triangular shaped wedges in my staking set-I am wondering if it is used for this same purpose as the other I asked about. Regarding glue, what do think about using shellac? As for staffs, I have another I may try. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Gary,
That punch is for safety pinions on center wheels. Shellac is good because it won't come off in the cleaning machine or one dip, but you don't want to have a clump of it taking you out of poise. I would stick to glue if you are going to go that way. Best thing to do is try the punch to raise some burrs on the table before you glue it. It won't take much to raise a few burrs.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott,
I went the shellac route, at least for now, as I don't currently have that particular stake. Thanks again for your generous and patient help.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Gary,

You may want to make your own 3 faced punch, old sets are cheap and always handy to have to make your own custom punches.
Sometimes you will find that the table has been stretched over a oversize staff previously.
Using the staking set place the roller table on top of a 4 prong punch or stump with roller jewel slot. Then using the 3 sided punch (this will also maintain center) a gentle tap will raise enough burr to hold most tables firmly without need glues etc. do this on the upper face so as not to be seen when assembled.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
I recently had the same problem, and elected to use red Loctite. Red Loctite will set a loose automobile wheel bearing race, so it will surely hold a roller table in place!

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006