Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hunter case cover lift spring replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Have a size 16 gold filled hunter made by Union Watch Case Co., needs a front cover lift spring. Are they available, are they hard to replace, how do you determine the correct size. Back cover has a pretty neat emblem for The Knights Of Pythias. Any help is appreciated.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
OK, did my due diligence and did not find a "primer" on lift spring replacement...

Anyone up for a tutorial on replacing the lift spring in an 18S case? Trials and tribulations of sourcing a replacement that fits and functions?

If I buy a "lot" of springs from the auction, am I likely to have a few that fit? or a drawer full of curved metal I'll never be able to use?

The Columbia case I need to repair looks like it has two screws pinning a threaded bezel inside the back of the case... do these have to come out and the insert be removed to access the spring for replacement??? or does it just "hog" out with a persuasive tool?

Thanks a mil,

Pault

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Paul and Gary,

If you try to buy a replacement spring at auction you might be lucky to strike the right one, but possibly like Paul has said you end up with a load you'll never use. Unless you go into fixing cases as a job, you are probably better off sending the case to someone that does it on a regular basis and has stock.

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011