Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fallen Hand "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Oh boy, had fair warning while setting a 12s Elgin p/w the eve of Thanksgiving and ignored it. While setting my watch, the minute and hour hand rotated simultaneously. I was finally able to set the watch. I looked at my watch later during the day only to discover the minute hand had fallen off. Roll Eyes

How does one reattach hand? Should the hour hand be taken off as well before reattaching? What kind of tool would I need?

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Hi Stephanie,
John D's Helping Hands "Fitting & Installation of Pocket Watch Hands" might help you replace your FALLEN minute hand Smile If the hand is very loose, you may have to make the hole smaller so that it fits tighter..

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Thanks Wayne. Just viewed John's Helping Hands tutorial and now know I will need to send this one out for repair. Frown Big Grin

Why can't things be simple? Frown Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Stephanie, if you ever find the answer to THAT last question, please share it with me! Frown WinkHigh regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Stephanie,
should not be necessary to send out for repair.
Problem sounds simple if I read your post correctly.
set hour hand at 12,seat minute hand at tweleve.
Look from the side and make sure hands are parrelel to each other and lay flat, with space to clear both hands. If so, you should be fine.

If minute hand tends to "fall", remove hand and place in staking tool, round nose punch, tap lightly to close hole,(punch from top side of minute hand)One tap generaly is enough if hand is close to proper for that movement. keep trying until hand stays put on shaft. At worst you may have to tap around the hole with small punch. Try large single punch first. Very easy repair.

hope this helps
j.c.

Posts: 3 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA USA | Registered: December 05, 2004