Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

kinck in hairspring "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Im looking at this hairspring
the watch is not running as should low aptitude on spinning of the balance wheel is the hairspring at fault?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Hi Peter,

It is a little hard to say. I think I would first look at how the hairspring is breathing. Is it centered and level? Is the hairspring dragging on either arm of the balance? Is the collet pressed completely down? Are the balance pivots in good shape both upper and lower?. Also would check both balance hole jewels for fit and the condition of the cap jewels. For good measure I would also make sure the roller jewel is secure. Also might want to check to make sure no coils are stuck together with some oil or magnetized.

This all assumes the watch is delivering proper power to the balance.

That is where I would start with it Peter.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
Thanks Rob I know is not rubbing/dragging on arms,
hairspring is center and level,new staff I will have to check the jewels but my magnificatio is only 25 power

posted
Hi Peter if it is a new staff it is best to do a spin test with just the balance, no hairspring nor rollers. This will check to make sure the pivot fit is good and there is freedom in all positions. You may have done this already. The only other things that come to mind is to check the beat also make sure the overcoil is not touching the underside of the balance cock. Also make sure the overcoil is not tapping into the center wheel. Check the position of the hairspring between the regulator pins. Lastly, make sure the coils of the hairspring are not bunched up to closely together. Should be mostly equally spaced.

www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 1555
posted
Great info from Rob, also, do not know if you have already checked Peter, but check for the correct balance staff end-float clearance.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
I did free spin. I might not have the roller or hairspring in right position but I took pictures from before and after and all looks same
I will have to take it a part and replace it just to be sure thank you Rob and Bila.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter, they make a set of tweasers shaped to the bend of the hair spring that would take that kink out with one squeeze. See if you can find a pair.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011