• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch to learn on "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know that a low value watch or a low jewel watch is good to learn on.But i was wondering if there is any difference in brand names.I worked on a waltham a while back and found putting the plate was dificult because the staff on the end of the escape wheel did not want to go back into the jewel.And a old seth thomas watch i have almost falls back in place , very easy to line every thing up.

Kevin West

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Kevin,
Was the Waltham you worked on an 18s?
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi Brian, actually i believe it was a 16 size when i went to put the plate back on, the staff on the end of the escape wheel was pretty hard to line up, i tried looking at under good light and with my optivisor i finaaly got it back in.

Kevin West

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

If I had a choice between reassembling a 7J and a 17 jewel watch, I would choose the 17J. When trying to move the wheel pivots into place, the smooth surface around the hole of a jewel allows you to move the wheel pivot much easier whereas a metal pivot hole there is more friction.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003