Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can i reduce the diameter of a watch crystal? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone, todd here.
at present i am unable to do fine work as i injured myself last week in a stupid accident doing something my wife says i am too old for.
so, until this cast comes off i am looking for something to do that doesn't require all my digits to be functional.
i spent the day polishing the cases of some of my favorite wristwatches.
now on to my question.
i purchased a crystal for a watch from Mr. White. it is beautiful and fit perfectly. unfortunately i scrapped the watch due to inexperience. (it was a non runner, common, 7 jewel wonder practice watch, so please don't be mad at me David) Smile
i would like to install this crystal in another watch but it is by my measurements .85 mm too large in diameter.
i tried pressing it in but no go.
is there a way to grind the diameter down a bit?
i searched prior posts and only found Williams post of a few years ago of how he makes the crystals. Wow! amazing.
i do have a diamond lapidary blade but am fearful of using it because i don't want to damage the crystal and i don't want Mr. White coming after me for patent infringement. Big Grin
any suggestions appreciated.
P.S. typing with one hand is AWFUL!!

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
If you are not set up to grind the crystal. I would save it to stock and order another one.

V/R

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Todd,

You can do this but .85mm is quite a bit of material to remove and you'll end up removing part of the bevel which will probably show. If you want to try, go ahead and I can always make you a new one if it gets ruint! You can use a diamond abrasive of about 600 grit with lots of water, never dry. Finish up with #400 silicon carbide paper & water. If you end up with open fissures these can develop into cracks easily, so make sure any rough grinding has been smoothed and polished ...as best you can.

Good luck,

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks William.
i think i am going to give it a shot tomorrow just to see if i can.
i always love pushing it a bit, trying the hard stuff.
especially when someone says i shouldn't or can't
even if it doesn't work out it will be fun.
can't do any fine work for a few weeks.
looking for things to do with one good hand.
thanks William and everyone here.
todd
P.S. your card is pinned to the wall above my staking set.
just in case.

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015