Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1890 model Balance Wheel Assembly "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2264
posted
Hi,
I have a Waltham 6s 1890 model made in 1906. It stopped working so I took a look and found that the impulse jewel has fallen out and got lost. Does anyone know somebody who has a replacement please.

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary,

A few questions. Are you going to replace the jewel yourself? Do you have the skills and tools necessary to do the job properly by shellacking the jewel in place (not gluing) and making it perfectly plumb? You need the correct width based on the pallet fork opening. The length is not quite as critical.

I see you are in the UK. If you were in the US I would gladly do this for you but shipping from the UK is costly.

If you have someone do it for you, they should ask for the plate, pallet and bridge as well as the balance assembly in order to make sure there is a correct fit. If someone offers to replace the jewel without those items be leery.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks for the reply Roger.
I was rather hoping that someone could supply the whole balance assembly from another old movement so that I could just fit it. I take it that wouldn't work then.
That's a shame because this makes the watch a write off at UK prices. My nearest watchmaker charges £165 ($218) for a basic service. (Clean and Oil )

Regards ...... Gary.

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary,
There are a couple of reasons why a balance swap isn't a good idea. First, if the pivots on the balance staff are larger than the hole jewels you will crack or break the jewels and/or the staff pivots. If smaller than what they should be the watch won't run properly. Also, if you look closely at the underside of the balance arms you will probably see numbers engraved on them relating to the serial number of the movement. Swapping the balance will cause a mismatch.

If you want to spring for the shipping from the UK to the US and back I would be willing to replace the jewel for you at no charge for the part or labor. I would need the parts indicated earlier, however at a minimum. If you want to do this, send me an email (found in my profile) and I will send you my address.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008