Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1888 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
I'm working on a 16s '88 movement someone gave me to "fix"...I found part of the Stem broken off in the winding mechanism...seems someone forgot to loosen the detent screw before attempting to remove the movement from the case..what has me a little puzzled is the steep ramp the setting lever must climb when setting this watch...does this watch need a special stem?...I find it very diffult to move the setting lever into the set position...What am I missing??

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
posted
Coincidentally, I've just run into a similar problem with an 88 model. Jerry Treiman suggested that I check the condition of the shipper. As he suspected, the curved end of the shipper that pushes on the spring was all chewed up. I'm pretty sure that once this is replaced all will be as it should be. It's a simple mechanism so there's not much else it could be IMHO. Check the end of the shipper for wear and I'll bet you find it's beat up like mine. Good luck.
BMW

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002