• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Problem with a stem not wanting to come out..... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just received a watch and I can't get the stem to pull out to set the time....I've seen ones that come out too easy or fall out completely but never one I can't pull out....Anyone know why this would happen?....It doesn't appear to be rusted in place....Any tricks to get this to work....I was wondering if I could give it a quick spray with a lubricant or maybe a drop of watch oil?.....I really like the watch and would hate to have to send it back....Please comment and thank you,
Robert...

P.S.: Before some one asks yes it is a PS....I maybe dumb but I'm not stupid..... Razz

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
Is it a pendent set watch that you have to unscrew the detent and remove the stem before you can get the movement out? Sometimes these watches can really get hard to set if they are dry or is it a watch you can get the movement out without removing the stem? If it has a detent screw the movement will probably need a good COA to set easier...If you can get the movement out without removing the stem, take it out hold the lower end of the stem with a pair of pliers and unscrew the crown put a drop or two of oil on the sleeve and put it back together and see if it works any easier....Can't hurt anything...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Robert, some times they are just stubborn I believe Buster Beck has posted a solution, you will need to do a search. The answer you are looking for is in a post somewhere on 185.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Not sure if this is the post Phil is referring to:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...943988667#7943988667

but utilizing our "Find-or-Search" feature and typing in the words "pulling on a stem pendant" and I was able to bring up 6 topics:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...ng+on+a+stem+pendant

and getting creative using a different combination of words may help further.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5226 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thank you Gary, Phillip and Dr. Debbie....Buster's article mentioned trying to slightly move the crown while putting light pressure to pull the stem out.....This worked ever so slight jiggle and pull and voila it came out like butter....I then pushed it back down and tried to pull it straight out without the giggle and it wouldn't pull out again....I then tried the slight giggle and it pulled out....amazing....I guess it's all in the giggle...oops I guess I should thank BB also...Thank you sir...Thanks again to all for the answers....Smile

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009