• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

lathe missing its index pin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just received a Marshall Peerless lathe I won on ebay, and it looks to be in really good shape. I can see that it has been really cared for. It's pristine, with all the parts working and centered, except it is missing it's index pin.

I haven't worked with a lathe yet, and am new to all of this, so I'm guessing that the pin seems to be integral to setting up and removing the collet.

So my questions are:

Do I need one before I even start to try to learn on the lathe?

Where can I get one?

Can I make it out of something else? Seems like I could. Looks to be something very similar to the centering punch in a staking set.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dale, you just brought a smile to my face I remember my first lathe also had this missing also they slide out and get lost recheck the packing material and ask the seller has he found it on the floor , you need one, so there is your first project....

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks. When I get home from work I'll check to see if it's around.

So I can now use my lathe to make the part?! Cool.

What does it actually do? I can see where it goes, but what's it purpose?

posted
The index pin is mostly needed to fix a part in different positions and file some flat's with a file and a file guard, like the square section of a stem ( or for wheel cutting); You never need it to open or close the collets

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Ok, that makes sense.

Would this be a good book do get?
Modern Watchmakers Lathe and How To Use It - By: Archie B. Perkins

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Dale,
That is THE book to get.
Scott

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
quote:
Modern Watchmakers Lathe and How To Use It - By: Archie B. Perkins

Anyone have one of these lying around they want to sell?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
any tool steel rod of the correct diameter will work. The pin positions the collet in the keyway slot and prevents it spinning by locking it in one position. I've had many made for me by my tool and die maker friend Reg Miller of St.Thomas ,Ontario, a great toolmaker ,and a great guy Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Tom,
Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
What I'm looking for is the book.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 456
posted

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005