• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

basic oil cup question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I searched and found someone else asked this same question, but never could find an answer.

How do you get the oil out of container and into the oil cup?! It doesn't move.

And then once there, what's the best way to get the spot of oil off the needle and into the oil cup on the watch?

I've read a hundred times how and where to oil the watch, but no one really explains the technique.

Aside from scraping the edge of the needle to make the oil pool, I can't tell how you should really do it.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
posted
Hi Dale

The first part of your question is easy to answer.

I think we are talking about those precious pocket watch and wristwatch oils in the small bottles ?

Turn the open bottle upside down over the oil cup and give it a tip with a finger on the bottom - one tiny drop will fly out and that's it. You have to tip harder when the bottle is full and a bit more gently when it's almost empty.

For the second question I found two videos showing the procedure:

watchmaker at 3:30

oiling an anti-shock system

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I use a bottle with an eye dropper. I put the oil in the bottle, with the eye dropper, and I'm good to go.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002