Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staff # for E Howard 16S Series II PW "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...am attempting to build a balance assembly for an E Howard 16S Series II pw but don't have access to a Howard/Keystone parts catalog to determine the staff # for starters...thanks for any help...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Jim,

Does the Series II have a DR friction staff? If so, I believe its factory PN 338 or 2072. PN 341 or 2073 is listed as a SR staff.

If anyone has MS Word on their computer, try this Helping Hand presentation on balance staffs. PN's 2072 & 2073 are from an old staff assortment listing for factory numbers.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks John...my dilemma is that I don't know which staff was fitted to the Howard 16S Series 11 because the watch came w/o an assembly...I have all three (#s: 338; 340; 341) Howard-Keystone staffs in stock but don't know which to target as a fit for the watch...

IHC Life Member
posted
Jim,

Look at your pallet lever assembly. Does it have a guard pin (perpendicular to the lever) or guard finger (parallel to the lever)? A guard pin would indicate a single roller is used and a finger indicates the use of a double roller. This will then help you determine which staff is needed. Also, try trimming a tiny pivot on each end of a piece of toothpick. Keep trimming one end until it just fits (with a minute amount of end play) between the plate and balance cock hole jewels. This should provide the approximate overall length of the staff or test fit one of your staffs you have in stock.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....ah yes, it shud have occurred to me that the watch was fitted with a DR staff since the underslung guard finger is parallel...now while this would eliminate the SR #341 staff, I'm left w/a choice between the 2 DR staffs which are the same total length...the only significant measured difference between the two DR staffs is the size of the h'spring seat (#338F=.60 & #340=.95)...the search continues for a wheel, 'spring & DR...could turn into my life's work... Big Grin...thanks John for your help...

IHC Life Member
posted
Jim,

The 338F appears to be a friction staff and the 340, a riveted one. What year is the movement? Maybe you can narrow it down further.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...the watch, a Series 11 RR Chrono has S/N:12612754 which puts it's mfr ca: 1915...now if I were a gambling man, considering that vintage, I'd bet that the right staff for the 'piece would be the friction fit 338...which would be a starting point to hopefully finding the rest of the balance ***'y parts...

IHC Life Member
posted
Jim,

I'm thinking just the reverse. Were friction fit staffs being used around 1915? I would bet on the riveted staff. Good luck in your search. Maybe a parts movement will eventually show up on eBay.

If I make it to Phoenix this month, I can always check around for you.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Hey John & Jim I have a shoe box full of American pocket watch staffs and balance jewels. I have 5 different 16 size Howard balance staffs in little envelopes but no part number just a bottle number. I like to try and help but not sure if I have what Jim needs or not. One is marked 16s Double roller with 3 in it. Let me know how I can help. Would a picture tell anything? Cool Oh one is marked friction!!!

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Robert! At this point, Jim needs a Howard 16s, balance complete that will fit his watch. All that we have determind so far is that he has a missing balance complete and a double roller movement. Confused