• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pivot Repair /replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, First let me say that this site has been an immense help and I appreciate everyone's effort in the advice and assistance that has been given.

Now onto the problem.

I have a 16s Elgin Veritas grade that has several cracked jewels and also broken pivots on the 3rd and 4th wheels.
I know that I do not have the ability to repair the pivots at this time, but is it possible to replace the whole pinion.
How is the pinion attached to the wheel? Is it rivitted similar to that a balance staff?

Also I want to replace the damaged jewels which are bezel set. I was going to do it with bezel set tools as I do not have a lathe. Any suggestions or reommendations? In addition any sources for these bezel set jewels?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim w.

Jim

Posts: 2 | Location: Buffalo, New York USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Hi Jim,

What's the serial number of the movement?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Hello John,
The serial number is 14231599. It is a 16s, 376 grade, 23 jewels.
It is in great shape other than the cracked jewels and damaged pivots. Definitely something that I want to restore to it's original condition.
So I want to keep the gold train and jewel settings. I didn't want to use a friction jewel replacement as I was concerned that it would not be in keeping with the original.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim

Posts: 2 | Location: Buffalo, New York USA | Registered: December 20, 2005