• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch screws "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The pocket watch that I'm restoring and learning on had some missing screws. Also, the main spring barrel arbor screw is too short and one of the bride screws is not the right size.

How do you go about getting an assortment of screws for restoration? How about just one or two as I need here. I've only seen Otto Frei and Slarose on the web as parts sites. What other parts suppliers are good to use?

Thanks in advance. I'm having a lot of success so far with the learning process and it's great fun too!

Regards,
David Douglas
Austin, TX

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
David, I may be able to help. What screws are you in need of exactly?
Send me an e-mail. Thanks,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Aaron,

I'm not quite sure how to send you an email since I don't know your email address. I also noticed my misspelling in the first email (bride screws? - oops) Anyway, There are two non-original screws. The first one keeps the watch from working. It's the ratchet wheel screw. It's too short and does not thread properly into the arbor. In slide 7 of the pocket watch parts helping hands tutorial, it's the screw that holds the ratchet wheel onto the arbor. The second screw that does not fit right (it's too tall) is the train bridge screw that is just under the balance wheel (holding the watch pendant side up). My email address is ddouglas3nospam@austin.rr.com. Thanks Aaron for any assistance you can provide.

This is the same watch that you kindly responded to about the mainspring - it's a 7 jewel 16 size basic Elgin. Serial # 243223472.

Thanks!
David

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
David, I sent you an e-mail. I'll get the parts you need right out at no charge to you.
Glad to help,

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
What AWESOME people around here!

Thanks Aaron.