Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainspring Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I haven't found the trick yet for getting the mainspring from the mainspring winder into the barrel while simultaneously getting the tab at the end of the MS into the slot on the barrel. Once the mainspring is in the barrel, I can't maneuver it to get the tab into the slot so I am forced to take the MS out again and again. Eventually I give up and have to end up putting the MS in the barrel carefully by hand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Member 456
posted
I use a Robbins style winder. When I wind the mainspring into the winder barrel, I leave the end with the tab or "T" end outside. I then put the winder barrel into the watch barrel while aligning the tab into the slot/hole. I then carfully place the watch barrel on the bench while keeping it in position. I then take a piece of pegwood to hold down the end of the m/s to keep it from slipping out of the slot/hole while transferring it from the winder barrel.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Michael,

I got it to work by putting the tab in the slot and holding it there before pushing the mainspring off of the winder. Thanks for the help!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Member 456
posted
I'm glad it worked. It just took a lot longer for me to explain it than you! Smile
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005