Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

AAAGH!! help with *%&^%!! hairspring stud pls. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody, todd the novice here
i just spent two hours getting the hairspring stud back in the balance cock of my new york standard. on the elgin i did it just went right in, no problem.
now that i have it in place i have found that the impulse jewel is not in beat so i have to take it apart again! AAAGH!!
is there some technique i have not yet learned to make this easier? or is this problem just a function of the fact this is a cheap movement?
please help before i lose my mind and give up on watches all together and decide to collect antique dust or something. Razz
thanks
todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Todd,

When new at this it is good practice to remove the balance and hairspring assembly from the balance cock in order to adjust the collet to avoid damage to the hairspring. After a little practice, you can use your balance tack and let the hairspring and balance suspend from it. With a small offset tool that has a tip that will fit in the hairspring collet you can go from the top of the suspended hairspring, insert the tool in the slot and rotate the collet slightly left or right as needed. You will have to gently hold the balance wheel while doing this. As with so many things with watchmaking it takes time to develop a 'touch' for performing the task you want to do without damage.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Roger,
you are right, i am definitely more comfortable removing removing the balance and hairspring from the balance cock. i have a balance tack but it makes me so nervous that i am going to damage the hairspring.
i solved the problem of reinserting the hairspring stud back into the balance cock. i gently filed the leading edge of the stud so it had a slight taper, therefore making it easier to work it back into the balance cock. worked like a charm. after adjusting the hairspring collet the hairspring stud just went right in to the balance cock. and it is now in beat. now to complete the reassembly.
thanks
todd

IHC Member 1851
posted
If the balance arms are 90 degrees to centerline of escapement, as it appears real close in picture, you may want to rotate the table instead of the collet, keeping the balance 90 degree while at rest.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
I would discourage any movement of the roller table once it has been pressed into its proper position. The proper way to correct beat is to adjust the hairspring at the collet.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Todd, if (or when) you have the nifty little tool shown below, you can work to develop a way to adjust beat as shown (hold the wheel gently across the crossbar and you need not pull the spring as far as the picture). Remember, the brass collet can be stuck, and will break in half if not pampered! Mad

I also see that you removed the regulator arm. I suggest that you can leave that on the balance cock. Putting it on and off only degrades the sliding fit unless it needs replacement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1851
posted
If off to some unreasonable degree the perfectionist in me would set the balance up straight across.

Respectfully, Paul

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As a rule (of habit) I positioned the roller Jewel at 90 degrees to the plane of the Balance wheel Crossbar.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
that is a great tool David.
i removed the regulator arm because it was loose. after i took the hairspring off of the balance i noticed the regulator moved on the balance cock much too easily. so i gently snugged it up with a pair of needle nose pliers and put it back.
todd