Internet Horology Club 185
Roller Jewel replacement

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/1041017982

November 11, 2007, 15:29
Jim Robson
Roller Jewel replacement
Hello, I want to remove a roller from a staff and replace it with a new one. The roller that is on the staff now has lost it's jewel and it is not a set screw type. It looks like it was crimped in.
I have a new roller jewel assembly to replace it with.

The only problem is, I don't know how to remove the old one. I have a staking tool set and a pair of stumps that are marked for roller removal, but I don't know how to use them.

Can someone help me? Or should I leave it to a professional?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. The watch is a Bulova 7AK
November 17, 2007, 07:17
Dan Mitchell
I would tend towards just replacing the roller jewel in the currently fitted roller, rather than disturbing it just because the jewel is out.

I have done two like this recently, obtaining the correct jewel from an otherwise unusable balance.
Yes - they are tricky to fit, but it can be done.

DM
November 20, 2007, 20:50
Jim Robson
Hi Dan, Thanks for the advice. Are they shellacked in like palate jewels? It sure sounds easier than refitting the roller etc. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks again, Jim

P.S. I'm also looking for a Bulova 7AK parts movement with a usable balance assembly
November 24, 2007, 10:00
Michael McGuire
I think it's relatively easy either way-

I prefer just replacing the jewel b/c when I switch parts, invariably it isn't just the same and then you have to adjust something else. Most replace just the jewel b/c the assy isn't avaiable or expensive.

Michael
November 25, 2007, 06:23
Brian C.
Hi Jim,
Try and get a copy of The Watch Repairer's Manual by Henry B. Fried, it shows exactly how to replace a roller jewel, even has pictures of the job and the tools needed. This book is a must for the up & coming watchmaker.
Brian C.
November 26, 2007, 23:32
Scott Cerullo
Jim,

I agree with Brian on getting that book.

One word of advice, buy new shellac from Borel or Casker. The stuff does in fact have a shelf life.

www.pawatchmaker.com