Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller Jewel replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello, I want to remove a roller from a staff and replace it with a new one. The roller that is on the staff now has lost it's jewel and it is not a set screw type. It looks like it was crimped in.
I have a new roller jewel assembly to replace it with.

The only problem is, I don't know how to remove the old one. I have a staking tool set and a pair of stumps that are marked for roller removal, but I don't know how to use them.

Can someone help me? Or should I leave it to a professional?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. The watch is a Bulova 7AK

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I would tend towards just replacing the roller jewel in the currently fitted roller, rather than disturbing it just because the jewel is out.

I have done two like this recently, obtaining the correct jewel from an otherwise unusable balance.
Yes - they are tricky to fit, but it can be done.

DM

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi Dan, Thanks for the advice. Are they shellacked in like palate jewels? It sure sounds easier than refitting the roller etc. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks again, Jim

P.S. I'm also looking for a Bulova 7AK parts movement with a usable balance assembly

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
posted
I think it's relatively easy either way-

I prefer just replacing the jewel b/c when I switch parts, invariably it isn't just the same and then you have to adjust something else. Most replace just the jewel b/c the assy isn't avaiable or expensive.

Michael

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Jim,
Try and get a copy of The Watch Repairer's Manual by Henry B. Fried, it shows exactly how to replace a roller jewel, even has pictures of the job and the tools needed. This book is a must for the up & coming watchmaker.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Jim,

I agree with Brian on getting that book.

One word of advice, buy new shellac from Borel or Casker. The stuff does in fact have a shelf life.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003