• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

key wind, key set case stem question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm working on a key wind / key set watch and the case is missing the stem and crown. Since this is a kw/ks case, the stem does not protrude through the case into the movement. I'm not sure what kind of stem this is or what it looks like. There are no set screws on the pendant, and no sleeve. Who out there is familiar with this style case (circa 1874). Regards, David

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Not sure I understand your question, David. It being a keywind/key, there wouldn't BE a crown or stem, as the movement is technically operated independent of the case, as you wind the watch from the rear with the key, and set it at the front with the key.
Are you saying you're missing the piece on the case that the bow fastens to?
Confused
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
OK - let me phrase this question differently. For this case, there is a spring and catch for the front cover of the hunter case. The spring obviously does not have a hole in it. This case is missing the "mechanism" to push the spring catch to open the hunter face. I'm assuming that this mechanism is made of a button or crown with a stem of some sort to push the spring down. What I don't know is - what did this stem mechanism look like? I can't figure out how it stayed secure in the case since there is not a screw in sleve like stem set cases.

-dd

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
David,

Could you post a picture of the watch case?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
I'll do that tonight when I get home. I'll take several different angles. Thanks for the help! If I can figure out what the stem looks like I'll make one on my lathe if I can't find one.

-dd

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
I haven't seen too many KW/KS's in my very short carrer, but the one's I have seen didn't seem have a spring loaded cover. Do they come with spring loaded covers? Just curious.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Frank,

Here's and example of a KW/KS case. It's a Newport Coin made around the late 1860's to early 1870's.

It doesn't have a crown but it does have a button to open the front (spring-loaded) cover. Some of the cases that you have seen in the past may have had a broken lift spring for the front cover.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

David,

I believe that device is a "pusher" since all it really does is push against a spring to open the front cover. One way might be to modify one from another case or use one that is close as a template in order to fabricate a replacement.

For what it's worth I have an odd KW/KS from 1879 with what looks like a crown, again no retaining screw and all it does is act as a pusher. Apparently original to the Solid-Gold case.

They did some things that seem strange today.

John, any chance of showing David how yours is attached?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yes, this looks very similar. I'd like to see how it's attached! Thanks!!!!

IHC Life Member
posted
David & Lin,

I wonder how many of these were trashed when someone tried to unscrew the pusher! Eek

Here's how to remove the pusher on this style of case:

1. Remove the bow.

2. Slide the pusher retaining pin out from either side of the pendant.

3. Pull out the pusher.

The ends of the bow keep the pusher retaining pin in place. The hole in each side of the pendant allows for just enough movement by the pusher to depress the case spring and still retain the pusher from falling out.

All the above are based assumptions that this case has not been modified!!!

IHC Life Member
posted
The pin and pusher.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Thank you John. I have never thought to look at one of these and the mechanism is quite clever. Cool

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
John, I have a case that the pusher fits like yours. So there are at least tow out there.

Tom

posted
i will throw my thanks out there also... learned something new today.