Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 24 Hour Dials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I have been actively collecting Hamilton watches with 24 hour dials since I have moved to Canada. I thought I would post pictures of some of them and see if there are other any types out there. Sorry for the washed out look to the photos.

First one:

Hamilton in Block Caps, CPR numerals, 13-24 in black, no 6

I think this is porcelain, but not sure

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Next one is similar.

I know that this one is porcelain.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
A third example of this dial, but with a rounded Hamilton All Caps signature. Note the smaller font on the 13-24, especially noticable on the 18.

May be melamine, but again I'm not sure

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Similar to the first two, but with red 13-24 and a 6. Note the full 5 and 7. Also, the 18 is black and the 6 is a different font. Single sunk.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another version with a script Hamilton signature, fancier hour numerals, red 5-minute numbers, and red 13-24, no 6.

This one was on a 992, so I assume the dial is earlier (20's - 30's)

This is dial number 259 from the 1920 Hamilton Catalog link that Frank posted below.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This one is busy and very similar to the last one: Script Hamilton, fancy hour numbers, red 13-24, but with marginal minutes and a 6 (Montgomery style)

Dial number 581a from the 1920 Hamilton catalog (see below). My favorite one so far. Smile

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another one like the third one: Rounded Hamilton in all caps and black 13-24, no 6.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Very nice pics there John. As a little adjunct to this there has been an update to the Hamilton materials that IHC185 is hosting. The scanned pages from the Hamilton 1920 Catalog show forty-eight different dials.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
From the other thread on CPR dials, I found an 18 size version of the marginal minutes 24 hour dial. This one is on a Hamilton 946.

Note: no six, and relatively smaller red numbers on the outside of center area. Also the font of the red 13-24 numbers is similar to the 1-12 hour numbers.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This one is also from the other thread on CPR dials on page 2 and was on a Hamilton 952 (16 size).

A single sunk variant with fancy numbers, small 13-24 in red, red 5 minute numbers, no 6, and script Hamilton signature.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is yet another 24 hour Hamilton dial from the other thread. This is a neat 18 size single sunk dial. The 1-12 hours are Roman numerals and the 13-24 are arabic numbers in red. Interestingly, the numbers go around instead of being all vertically oriented. This one also has red 5 minute numbers and no 6. The script signature is Hamilton Watch Co. Really cool. Cool

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another variant found in the CPR thread. This one is similar to dial 259, but it has an all caps Hamilton signature and black 13-24 numbers.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Dial 259 with diamond hands from the other thread.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
A 24 hour dial that is on my Hamilton 3992B Canadian military watch in a 0.800 silver case.

This one has all black fancy numbers for the 1-24, and simple font for the black 5 minute numbers. Zero sunk or no seconds area since the sweep second hand is in the middle. All caps HAMILTON font.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This familiar 24 hour dial is on my Hamilton 4992B, which is a true 24 hour watch made for the US military.

It has a black face and a simple font for the white inner 1-24 hour numbers and the white outer 5 minute numbers. Again this one has no seconds area due to the sweep second hand. No Hamilton markings, instead marked G.C.T.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Excellent dials John, thanks for sharing. I love Canadian dials and I think my personal favorite is the dial 259, with the Heavy Arabic in the primary chapter and the red Gothic secondary chapter.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I love those 24 hour dials and Gothic numerals also...but for me there ain't no Gothic as good as Illinois Gothic; it puts them all to shame Smile

Thanks for posting all these pictures, John. I got my "24 hour dial fix" for today.
M.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very good, John....they are all quite nice....

I like the black military dial for some reason....but all are really nice....

Thanks for sharing....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
I just got another one in this week that I won on ebay from Sham and Nara. It is an early 992B serial no. C12091 with the single sunk military/Canadian dial with the red numbers and black 18. Even comes with the correct Fortune "CASE MADE IN CANADA" case. Even better than the excellent pictures.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is one I missed on Christmas Day by $4.05. My max bid was $299 based on a high Shugart book value of $200 for a Swiss-made 23 jewel Hamilton 971. Oh well, better luck next time. Roll Eyes

Anyway the dial has marginal minutes and red numbers 13-24. It also has the later Hamilton signature. I like it because it is so busy and colorful.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a melamine single sunk dial with a red 18 and a black 6. Notice the 7 and 5 are cut off.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is my latest pickup from ebay. This one is another porcelain enamel 24 hour marginal minute dial that is the 16s version of the 18s dial pictured above. It has a script Hamilton signature and red 13-24 numbers that are around the outside of the inner sunk area. The 5 minute numbers are also red. All of the numbers are arabic. The 18 is inside the bottom half of the seconds area, but there is no 6.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks to our own Tom Brunton, I picked up this watch in the IHC185 Auction that finished Wednesday.

This is the 18 size version of dial 581a above, a 24 hour marginal minute dial on a Hamilton 940. I believe these are very scarce. First one I've seen.

Thanks again Uncle Tom! Big Grin

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is yet another one. Picked up this 16 size 24 hour marginal minute dial on ebay today. This dial features a block Hamilton signature and black 24 hr chapter. To me it looks like the marginal minute version of the dial above posted on Oct 16, 2009 at 00:06. Both are fronting 992 movements which I believe to be correct for the period of the block Hamilton signature.

I'm always amazed that more and more varieties of these Hamilton 24 hour dials keep showing up.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
One more variant dial Wink

Close to John's Oct.15, 2009 posting, but slightly different. It's a seconds sunk porcelain 16sz 3 footer. I have had it many years. Still don't know what to put it on or what it came off of Eek

I'm going to post it in Pitfalls and see if anyone has a good idea what it would of been on initially.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Awesome dial Buster! I'm not sure what it goes to, but it sure is pretty! Smile

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks to our good friend Samie, here is another 18 size 24 hour dial variant. This one is double sunk, has red 13-24 and 5 minute numbers. Script Hamilton signature. No six, and 18 is at the bottom of the seconds chapter. Very similar to the one posted on October 16, 2009 00:35, but 5 minute markers instead of 1-60 minute markers.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
One more 24 hour Hamilton. Found this one for sale on eBay. Hamilton signature in all caps. Red five minute markers and red 13-24 number on the inner circle. A red 18 in the seconds chapter, but no 6. Has a few hairlines, so I passed on it. This one was advertised for a 16 size watch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
I found another 24 hour Hamilton dial! They just keep coming. This one is probably one of the most complicated dials you will ever find. This dial is for an 8 day clock that features a 12 hour elapsed timer, a chronograph function, a date dial, and a seconds dial. It was jointly developed by Elgin and Hamilton and used in WWII on most US planes.

For more info on these cool aircraft clocks, check out this link: Hamilton 37500 Search

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
My latest acquisition is an 18 size Hamilton Grade 926 with a 24 hour Hamilton dial. This dial is very similar to the one posted on November 19, 2011, but it is a single sunk dial.

posted
Here is a nice Hamilton Railway 992B metal dial circa 1955 found on ebay several months back.

Posts: 109 | Location: Livermore, California in the USA | Registered: August 05, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another 16 size 24 hour marginal minute dial with red 13-24 and a script Hamilton signature. This difference in this one is it is a single sunk.

I'm hoping I win it... Wink