• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help on Hamilton 992B I inherited. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently inherited this 992B watch. I have done some reading on it, but some of the members here seem to be very knowledgeable.

I haven't decided whether to keep it or sell. I've seen prices from around $200 and way up. The problem with this one is that it's missing the bow.

You will also see that there are cracks in the face. Actually, the cracks are almost not noticeable in real life - the scanner emphasized them greatly.

I was wondering what anyone could tell me about this watch's worth in it's current conditon.

Face of Watch

Posts: 5 | Location: Dunedin, Florida in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2008
posted
Here is a closeup of what's inside of the back.

Posts: 5 | Location: Dunedin, Florida in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2008
posted
And, lastly, the inside workings.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi Cynthia, welcome to IHC 185. Looks like you've got a late 992B in a Case 17 with a Dial 379.

There's nothing that can be done about that dial, its more or less shot. But you can buy replacements on eBay and you should be able to get a replacement bow as well.

1. The Signature Type 4 movement looks to be in good condition. Assuming it doesn't need more than a clean, oil & adjust (which costs ~$100), I'd put the value of that about $200 as it is.

2. I'd value the hands at $50.

3. The case isn't worth much until it's repaired with a new bow, I'll say $50 in its current condition.

4. The cracked-up melamine dial is essentially worthless.

So as far as retail cash value is concerned, I'd estimate about $300 as it is now and a dealer would give you about half that amount.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
quote:
But you can buy replacements on eBay and you should be able to get a replacement bow as well.
eBay for the replacement bow as well?

quote:
1. The Signature Type 4 movement looks to be in good condition. Assuming it doesn't need more than a clean, oil & adjust (which costs ~$100), I'd put the value of that about $200 as it is.
I had a relative look at it who used to repair watches. He wasn't able to do more than remove some superficial dust since he no longer has his equipment. But, he did check it over and said the inside was working.

Wow, I had no thoughts of valuing parts of it individually. But, many thanks. You have been very helpful!

I wish the relative that owned it would have had it engraved with his name - that would give it more significance to me. Perhaps I will just hold onto it since I can narrow it down to maybe 2 possible relatives. You say late - would that be 40s, 50s?

Do you know if the chain can be also gotten on eBay?

Cynthia

Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Cynthia, I agree wih Edward as to the value. You have a very nice watch. As all parts you need can still be bought. The serial number is C496527 so the date of your watch is Hamilton dates
1956 - C455,000 to
1959 - C500,000

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Cynthia,

Let's fine tune those estimated production dates a bit closer. Smile

We projected the Hamilton 992B numbers here...

CLICK FOR: HAMILTON 992B MOVEMENT NUMBERS

You will see in our projections your C496527 fits into the mid-1960s and is most likely 1965 production. Those numbers are fairly well explained in the topic and that is truly the most reliable listing of 992B numbers.

On the dial, as Ed mentioned an exactly matched used replacement could be found without great difficulty. The dial is surfaced in melamine, a composite material also used also used to make inexpensive dishes and such during the 1950s and '60s when practically everything we used was being made out of plastics.

So far as repairing your case, the Case 17 does not lend itself well to replacing bows due to wear factors. For that reason a used bow that has been removed from another case might be the answer. Someone like Leon could take care of your case, he or Chris might be willing to coordinate the entire project for you.

For the most part those who are not involved in the old watch hobby would not be able to do this properly. The average "jeweler" today can change modern watch batteries, but service is usually sent out. That means you lose the ability to deal directly with the watchmaker and you also end up paying additional for layers of profits.

I hope this information is of help to you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I so much appreciate everyone's help.

The style of the watch makes it look so much older than the production numbers indicate - interesting. Without your help, I would have never thought it was a watch from the 1960's.

Does anyone here have a face and/or bow they would like to sell me? Anyone interested in doing the repair?

I think I've decided to keep it. I'm fairly certain I know which family member owned it.