• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with 993 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm trying to help my Dad with a Hamilton 993 that he has in his drawer of things that he has acquired during his considerable (88 yrs) lifetime. He doesn't know anything about it other than that it is a pocket watch. I've told him that it is apparantly quite a good one to boot. Any help that you can provide me with identification/explanation would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm posting some pics so I hope I do it correctly. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Steve

Posts: 15 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: January 17, 2010
posted
more...

Steve

Posts: 15 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: January 17, 2010
posted
still more...

Steve

posted
and finally...

Steve

posted
also, the serial # is 1017654 which puts it about 1913? It seems to keep very accurate time and is free of any noticable blemishes or wear.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Steve,

WELCOME ABOARD!

Your Dad has a really great one there on several levels.

First, that solid-gold box-hinge hunter case with an inset diamond is truly magnificent! Add to that a Hamilton 993 with full Montgomery dial and that is quite a watch. For anyone not familiar with a 993 that is the hunter version of the Railroad Grade 992 and from a mechanical standpoint the movements are virtually identical.

The dial on your Dad's watch is based on the patent dial designed by Henry S. Montgomery who was the Santa-Fe Railroad Time Inspector for many years. His idea of having marginal minutes around the outer circumference of the dial was used on both watches and clocks, it is a big favorite among watch collectors.

Looks like you got the correct production date from the Gelson Listings on IHC185 and for additional information consider checking into doing a Find-Or-Search for both Hamilton 993 and Montgomery Patent or the various other derivations and similar terms available from the IHC185 Main Page.

Thanks a million for sharing this beautiful Cool example!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Wow Steve! Your Dad's watch is awesome. I have the Hamilton 993 on my wishlist. In fact, I don't have any Hamilton hunters yet.

Great watch that looks 100% original to me. As Lindell said, the 14K case is really special.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
Thanks to you both for the replies. I've shared with him your feedback and he is surprised and pleased with the information that you have given. He is by nature a collector of things (not all worth collecing Smile) but he has several things that are very nice and very old. This watch is clearly one for him to be proud of then. I have begun to appreciate collecting historical things and I hope to keep this watch in the family for another hundred years. Thanks again.

Steve

posted
Also, I've noticed that it is losing about a minute per day so I was wondering the best way to get it tuned up/cleaned, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

Please check out my web site, you will also find me in many places on 185 Smile

Chris

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

Chris is highly recommend, I use his services whenever I get something too nice for my inept hands.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007